Server Maintenance This Week. ×

no user can access this file; not configurable???

Avidan

This topic is 4960 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.

• Newbies

A client of mine is using a program that was made with Filemaker Pro 6 Runtime. They want to be able to share their database across their network. I downloaded Filemaker Pro 7 and found it very easy to use... I had no problem sharing the 'installed templates' after installing on their network. However, when I converted the database made from the FMP 6 it won't let me share it with any users on the network... and when I try to use the 'open remote' function the file obviously isn't there because I can't share it. The FMP 6 multi file database seemed to convert properly.... it runs the script to open the other files and it seems to function just fine... but I am stuck as to why I am unable to choose the option to share with other clients on the network.... below the sharing option, it's says, "No user can access this file; not configurable."

Any help would be awesome.

Thank you!!!

Avidan

Welcome to the Forum,

When you say network, do you mean an FileMaker network or an Operating System network?

FMP 6 and FMP 7 files are different and can not be shared with each other.

The runtime may have admin access removed from the files. Have you read the about for the runtime?

• 5 years later...

I have been using Filemaker since 3.0 and I now have this showing up since I upgraded to 11 on one of my IWP files. No great loss as its a tinker with file. Yet all of a sudden I get this error and have no access to edit the layouts. All I can do is edit the data in the fields.

I am in the process of posting files on the web with 11. I upgraded last week and this just happened. I can open other files and edit them. If I go to the file options it says the file is not modifiable. This scares me as I have 35 related files that I have data in.

Any suggestions?

I can send you the file. It's one of the sample registration files that come with 11. I have modifed it just a bit. I lost the ability to edit it when I turned off "when opeing this file"

It is like the file switched to a runtime version with no layout.

Mark Jones

Edited by Guest

Hello Mark. Files cannot just "switch" to runtime. The run-time is actually a cut-down version of FMP and not the database itself. If you're opening the file in FM Pro then it's not the runtime engine being used.

It sounds as though the file is being auto-opened with an account that has less than full access privileges.

Try holding down Shift while opening the file to force authentication, then type the full access username and password.

It might also be possible the file is locked: check its properties.

I was using several different account names to log on (for testing purposes) and I had one in there that didn't have full access. I put in the generic Admin in there and it took it and allowed me full access again.

I feel better about this now. As I wasn't sure what I had done to lock me out of the tinker file. I have been making Runtimes for years and it acted just like a run time.

This IWP is different than the Runtimes as I now have account access to figure out and restrict access to records. It's been fun going down this as it is making me think a little different than all records all access.

Thanks for your help. I love Filemaker. It's a cool program.

Mark Jones

This topic is 4960 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.