Quick question on File References

This topic is 6946 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.

Guys,

I've finally managed to convert about 70% of my solution into the FP7 format. I've cleaned up all the relationships and duplicate file references the old FileMaker had remembered.

Filemaker 7 seems to take and age when opening a file locally, and i'm guessing (rather hoping) it might be something to do with the file references.

At present I have my references setup as :

fmnet:/*/CONTACTS

file:CONTACTS

Is this the most logical way ot set them up (fmnet: first and file: second). I sell my solution to both multi-user as well as single user customers and the speed for single user is frustrating me. On the other side though, the network performance of my application has increased smile.gif

Anytime you have an asterisk in your file reference, it's probably going to take a while. Note that each line in a file reference is a location where FM looks for the file. Since you have the fmnet reference with an asterisk first, it's searching the network and then the server(s) on the network for that one file.

If the second file reference works, put it first, or even make it the only reference.

This topic is 6946 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.