In need of FM 5.0 to 7.0 IWP consultant

This topic is 6939 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.

Can anyone recommend a migration consultant? I have several filemaker solutions that were developed using FM5.5 and used for the past 5 years

in a client/server config (FM5.5 connecting to FMServer 5.5 Host). Now

have dual system running (FM5.5/FMserver5.5 as mentioned) and a new Xserver

with FMServer Advanced 7.0. New Xserver IWP works great with IE & Safari clients for new database applications developed in FM7.0 but old applications arn't behaving well in new environment.

It sounds as if you have not separated out the old from the new. If I am reading you correctly, you have FMP7 and FMP5.5 solutions both running. You do not say if the FMP is just running in IWP or is also being served in a standard fashion. You could have several things going on here:

1. You cannot serve FMP5.5 and FMP7 from the same machine. You will get confusion on port 5003.

2. I understand that you can have a client with both versions working at once (I stand to be corrected on this)

3. You do not say if there is access from a LAN or a WAN on both solutions using standard serving. My understanding with a WAN is that the router table has to specify port 5003 to a particular computer - either the FMP5.5 one or the FMP7 one.

4. I do not know off hand what ports are used for IWP, so I cannot say if this could cause confusion.

Perhaps someone with greater depth of knowledge here will chime in to help you.

HTH

Dave McQueen

• Newbies

Have you read the migration white paper on the Filemaker site ? There are many gotcha's that you need to be careful of . .. what are some of the problems you are having ?

You say it is not behaving well in its new environment. What exactly is happening or not happening

I have FM Server 5.5 running on a Windows 2003 Server PDC and FM Server Advanced 7.0 running on an Apple Xserver. My small FM applications for data entry/searching/etc. have migrated fine over to FM 7.0 and are being used via IWP on the Apple Xserver. I have some applications that are used for printing labels/forms/etc. that don't work well in IWP. I understand that there may be some issues with IWP and printing, but my major business FM application (that has several FM Solutions tied into one ie. several tables and screen layouts for each database working together)is not migrating very will with the built in migration tool with FM Developer. Instead of migrating several databases of one "solution" into one database (with several tables and relationships) the FM7.0 migration tool still keeps the old filemaker (flat file structure) thru the migration.

Read the migration white paper.

The built-in conversion process does not aggregate files during conversion because it's too complicated to automate, primarily because the way a milti-file system is designed is significantly different from the way a multi-table single-file system would be designed.

Most developers are finding that the differences between 6 and 7 are so great that a complete re-think, re-design and re-build is necessary to take advantage of all the new features and optimisation techniques available in the new version.

This topic is 6939 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.