Strange FM6 to FM7 permission problem help needed

This topic is 6937 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.

• Newbies

Hi, I have a strange problem.

I started building a semi-complex database system in FM6, but half way through the project my client decided they would rather use FM7.

So I converted the FM6 files to FM7 and spent a while tweaking the complex scripts and whatnot because the FM7 converter broke a number of things that were previously working. Then I developed these converted files further.

For any new files (tables) I needed, I just started them clean in FM7.

So now I have a mix of former FM6 files that have been converted and further developed - plus - several pure FM7 tables that I built within one FM7 file.

So here's the problem:

When these files are served from FM7 server, the permissions on every converted file becomes reduced to what looks like read-only access. However, the pure FM7 files work fine.

It doesn't matter whether I log in as a full access user or a reduced access user: the former FM6 files are completely locked down permission wise.

This project is for a friends non-profit and I'm doing it near pro bono, so I unfortunately don't have much time to go over there and systematically troubleshoot whats going on. Also, I unfortunately don't have FM7 server at home and the files work just fine when opened on a client computer instead of being served.

Does anybody know what in the world could be causing this. It'll take too much time to build the converted files over again in pure FM7 fashion.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Oh yeah, my clients are using Mac 10.3. Everything was done on Macs.

Thanks

• Newbies

Ok, though I'm pretty sure I went through all of the files and checked that their permissions were all read write, and that the FM7 file had the same exact OS finder permissions as the other files. Also, all of the files opened natively on the server fine (using the FM7 app on the server).

It is the act of serving the files that seems to makes the converted FM6 files become nearly unusable to the client user. That kind of indicated to me that it has something to do with the conversion process or server software.

Is "fmsadmin" a new category that gets automatically set-up. Does it make a difference whether I pick "fmsadmin" or "staff" for example? Basically, I believe I set the permissions at one point to be accessible by anyone under something like staff. But again the files work fine when opened using the application on either the server or the client machine... just not when using FM7 Server to serve the files to the client. That seems to tell me that the permissions are set up fine, and that the problem lies elsewhere.

It'll try to triple check these settings though when I go in later this week.

Thanks

This topic is 6937 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.