Server Maintenance This Week. ×

Looking for "Online Product Catalog" Solution

This topic is 6887 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.

• Newbies

I don't know that much about FMP, but I'm trying to help a friend who knows enough to use FMP's basic functions but not much more. He would basically like to be able to create product catalog pages for his Web site using a FMP database.

Wants:

• Newbies

Assuming he already has some sort of regular Filemaker...I would suggest outsourceing the FileMaker Hosting. We use:

http://www.datatrium.com

$40 a month, and they handle all of the hosting and backups. They will also enable instant web publishing...So, you can use your FileMaker client program to open your database which is hosted at datatrium (they give you a subdomain). Then make your FileMaker layouts, and setup account privledges. All users have to do is go to your webpage for instant web publishing (which is supplied by datatruim), and they will view your online catalog.

So, you could design a FileMaker database where they can add and manage their own products, and Instant Web Publishing would take over from there...automatically publishing the changes.

There are many other ways....but thats probably the easiest. I believe datatrium requires FileMaker 7 (which I suggest you use also), but there are many other filemaker hosting companies out there as well.

Also take a look at Business Tracker (check out the forum list - there is a section for it). I took a look at it some months ago for a potential client. It has a catalogue feature. It is also free. So if it does what you want, and you have someone host it for you....You are off and running.

Dave McQueen

This topic is 6887 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.