Server Maintenance This Week. ×

Sharing on FIlemaker TCP intranet

Joe W

This topic is 6888 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.

I installed my FM Pro 7.0v3 on the two computers in my study. One is used mainly by my wife, the other by me. I am trying to share databases between the two over our home TCP network. The files having sharing enabled, and each computer can see the other's IP address, but no "available files" are listed for sharing in the "open remote" dialog. It doesn't ask for passwords or anything - they are just not there. One computer is WinXP, the other is Win2000. Any idea what I might be missing?

Joe:

On the machine where the files are already open, you can set the databases to be visible to all users, which is a menu item - on the Mac it is under FileMaker -> Sharing -> FileMaker Network... - but I'm not sure where it is on Windows. Network Sharing should be "on", and it should be set so that there is Network Acces to file to All Users. Also make sure that the "Don't Display" box is NOT checked. You can do these settings for all the open files at once in this dialog box.

-Stanley

Filemaker File Sharing is on. The "Do Not Show" box is NOT checked. When I have, say, Database A opened on one machine, and database B open on the other, and then access "Open Remote", I see the intranet IP address for both computers on each of them, but the "available file" is only there on the local machine - the remote IP shows no available files - ie sharing doesn't work either way,

This is not a "login as" issue, is it? I would think the files should show up in the list regardless, and log-in would come afterward.

The computers interface thru a router, but the TCP Windows networking works fine- shouldn't be any firewall between the machines. I also run "ZoneAlarm", but the 2 computers are in the same "trusted zone" so I don't think there should be any port issues because of that.

If this rings any bells with anyone, help would be appreciated!

Joe W.

I don't know what the cause was but I restarted the server, then went into the database, went into sharing, reselecting all the shared databases and selecting all users. I could then go in as client again.

Maybe its something to do with the fact that another database on the same server is still running FMP 4.

It sound like you may have a firewall in front of each computer. Make sure port 5003 is open in the trusted zone, otherwise that might prevent FM from communicating from computer the computer even in the same zone.

Also, make sure that under Edit > Sharing > Filemaker network... that you have click off All Users, or specified user under Network Access. If you have specified any users the access the db, it won't show in the window.

This topic is 6888 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.