Maxium multiple find requests

This topic is 8046 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.

Does anyone know how to prevent FM to show this message:

"You are in find mode and appear to be entering new record data rather than find request criteria. Are you sure you want to create a new find request? (Yes/No)"

This message appears after the 10th new request (we use the shortcut CTRL-N). Can that maximum value be increased? Can we get rid of it altogether?

What do you mean? I am simply entering the "data" in the field I am searching, using CTRL-N to enter "data" in the field again for the next record I need to find... again and again until the 10th time, the message pops-up.

I am not creating a new record... but FM "appears" to think that I have exceeded some limit.

Thanks for taking the time to help me.

MF

I don't know if there is a way out of this. The situation you describe is just Filemaker trying to be helpful because inside its pre-defined brain, it thinks that after 10 new requests in Find mode - that you might have made a mistake and maybe you really think you are in browse mode and are trying to create new records.

I've found that this goes away and doesn't come back after you tell Filemaker - politely - that you really are in the mode you want to be in.

Russ

[ April 06, 2002, 02:52 AM: Message edited by: Russell Baker ]

Try the Set Error Capture [] script step just before changing into Find mode.

(I cannot remember whether it's set on or off to disable error checking -- check the help info.)

OR (I just thought of this) make 9 find requests, change into Browse mode, then issue the Modify Last Find step to recall them. Try it and see how many it'll do before the alert appears.

[ April 05, 2002, 09:42 PM: Message edited by: Vaughan ]

Thanks, you sent me in the right direction. Here is the script:

Set Error Capture [On]

Enter Find Mode[]

Loop

Pause/Resume Script[]

Exit Loop If("IfEmpty(MyText),1,0)"]

New Record/Request

End Loop

Perform Find[]

If ("Status(CurrentFoundCount)= 0")

Show Message ["No records match this request."]

Show All Records

End If

The loop came from FM TechInfo. You can enter as many requests as needed with no "warning" message to interrupt the entry session. The bonus with this script is that you can use Enter instead of Ctrl-N (After the last entry you must hit Enter twice.)

This topic is 8046 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.