Server Maintenance This Week. ×

Last supported MacOS Server for FMServer 5.5

This topic is 6323 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.

• Newbies

Now that FMI has withdrawn most information about pre-7 versions of Filemaker, I can't figure out what was the last version of MacOS Server that was validated as working with Server 5.5.

We are not in a position to move our entire solution to 7. However, the rest of the business is running on Tiger while the FM server remains running on OS9. I would like to get FM Server machine running as modern an OS as possible.

I've got one client running Server 5.5 on OSX Server 10.3.9, and there are no problems, and another two running it on OSX 10.3.9 also with no problems. I can't give you any information regarding running FMS 5.5 on Tiger.

-Stanley

• Newbies

I'm also preparing to upgrade a client of mine to Mac OS X Server 10.4.x on an XServe. I'll test it out in our lab first, but wanted to know others' experience with Tiger Server and FM Server 5.5 (we too are not in a position to upgrade to 7 yet)

• 1 year later...
  • Newbies

Did you have any luck on testing 5.5 on 10.4 server? I am in the same boat, got a new Xserve with tiger running on it and and old FMPro 5.5 server + database ... interested in knowing how it turned out.

• Newbies

Thanks for that info - the FM server 5.5 + database is currently on an old G3 iMac with 512Mb RAM running 10.1.5 ...

Am I right in thinking that only 4 people are logging into this on a frequent basis that relocating the database to another computer or an xserve isn't going to make that much of a difference now? It could be that the database is at its limits, but the most they can hope for is a slight speed inprovement and that's it?

The most I am concerned with is that the database might corrupt under Tiger?

How does one make sure a FM 5.5 database is backed up on a Tiger server?

Currently everyone has to log out, FM server must be stopped, then a duplicate of the database is copied to cd and burnt off for backup? Do I still have to do this for Tiger or an Xserve?

If you're using FileMaker Server, use the scheduled backups under Schedules. Backup the databases to a local folder (preferably on a second internal or external hard drive). You can then burn the files from the backup folder without interfering with the database hosting.

• 1 month later...

I believe that 10.4.2 is as far as you can go with Server 5.5, but someone else may know otherwise.

Steven

We run FMP server 5.5 on 10.4.8

All our database are accessible but only one has intermittently connection to it. Sometimes it display "Feature not available in this version" message and won't allow to login. But the same user can login later on.

This topic is 6323 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.