Sharing FMP7 Databases on a Mac Airport Extreme Network

This topic is 6790 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.

• Newbies

Please help me. This is driving me nuts.

The Facts:

I have networked two Mac G5's running Mac OS 10.3.6

I have installed FMP7 on the Client and FMP7 Trial on the Host (waiting for my supplier to receive the full version.)

We are networked using Airport Extreme in a small office environment.

The Problem:

The Client Machine will not open files using "Open Remote". I can see the Host Computer but no files show up no matter how long I wait.

The Client Machine will open the same files using "Open" as long as the Host Machine does not have the file open.

Solutions I have tried:

1)Turning off Mac OS File Sharing (another Topic said to do this as MAC OS Sharing and FMP Sharing Clash - This only resulted in not being able to connect to the other machine at all.

2)One of the technical notes on FM Website said ""TCP/IP OT Network" file needed to be in the FMP Extensions folder"".

This file does not show up in any FMP7 Folder. I did find it in the extension Folder of FMP6 Folder so I moved it over to the FMP7 extension folder. This had no effect at all.

3) My Favorite Solution - Send a detailed email to FMP Support through their Website as they suggested when I was searching for the answer. RESULT - the next page said words to the effect "we do not answer these questions electronically - please phone"

I was NOT impressed.

4)Search the Forums for any one else with the same problem. Can find no answer.

Sorry for the long post. I will appreciate any help.

Thanks

You should try to narrow your problem down to either a network configuration issue, or a FileMaker configuration issue.

Connecting over a wireless network should be fine. To work properly, both host and client must have valid IP addresses. Often IPs are distributed dynamically by the router (base station.) You can check that your IPs are okay by successfully connecting to a web page or something.

If the network looks good, then you may not have correctly set up the host for sharing. The host needs to be set up to allow access to each file under FileMaker->Sharing->FileMaker Network Settings, and have the Network Sharing set to "Yes." There is also a setting in here that hides the select file in the Open Remote dialog. Make sure this is not checked for files you want to allow direct access to.

As I recall, there may also be some limitations to hosting with the trial version. I don't remember what the limitations are, but the documentation may list them.

I believe that networking may have been disabled altogether in the trial version, but at the very least it was somehow crippled.

-Stanley

• Newbies

First off, sorry for taking a week to answer your posts. I have been checking every day and today is the first time your posts have displayed.

Ender - We are networked because I have access to the files on the Host Computer but I am not able to Share the Files. ie. I can only open them when the host has them closed.

I have done and redone all of your suggestions in FM over and over again with no luck.

Stanley - I was thinking that it may be a limitation with the Trial Version but can find no reference to it anywhere. FM just sent an email welcoming me to the Trial Version with an email link for any questions. I will email using this link in hopes that I do not get the standard "Please Call" reply. (I am not in North America so the Toll Free Numbers do not work for me)

Thank you both for your help. I will post the fix when I find it.

Cindy

This is probably really silly, but I just want to make sure you've checked the easy stuff too.

Obviously you have your host set up right, or you wouldn't see it when you go to open remote. My question for you, is what about your FILES. Do you have them set up to share over filemaker network?

Not only does the host have to have Filesharing turned on, so does the files.

• Newbies

Zero Tolerance,

If you mean Open the File you want to share then chose Filemaker Pro>Sharing>Filemaker Network. Turn Network Sharing on, then Specify users by privlege set etc...,

Then yes I have done that in all the files I wish to share including setting up users and their privleges in all of the files too.

I have not selected "do not show in Open Remote dialog box" so this is not the problem.

Thanks for the suggestion.

Cindy

Do you have the Firewall active? To check, open System Preferences->Sharing, and click the Firewall tab. If the firewall is On, make sure both the TCP and UDP port # 5003 for FileMaker are in the Allow list. If they're not: click New. Drag Port Name down to other. In both the TCP and UDP Port Number(s) fields enter 5003. In the Description field enter FileMaker. Click OK.

• 4 weeks later...
  • Newbies

I'm not sure this is the answer or even the problem you describe: I've found that when the cursor is in a field in one database that database cannot be accessed by another database calling for its information. The mouse MUST be clicked outside of fields before the information can be accessed by another database. This is not a problem in my earlier (3.0) version of FM but is a problem in FM7.

The open/commited status of individual records has nothing to do with the ability of other clients to see the shared files, it only affects their ability to access data in those open records (and just clicking into a field does not open a record in FM7--editing a field opens the record.)

This topic is 6790 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.