Server Maintenance This Week. ×

Certification

This topic is 6822 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.

I'm thinking of writing the certification test, but can't find much information about the format or content.

I have the Foundation Training Series that I bought from FileMaker. It's a great training resource, but doesn't give much in the way of clues.

Is it a multiple choice test? Do you have a copy of FileMaker in front of you? Do you have to know things like "is File Options under the File or Edit menu"? Are there short answer questions? Do you have to build a database? How much do you have to know about things like CWP, Citrix, Terminal Services?

Does anyone know this stuff? Are you allowed to say?

Thanks Andy. The FAQ doesn't say much, but when I drilled back from there to http://www.filemaker.com/developers/certification/steps.html I found the following:

The exam is 60 multiple-choice questions and takes approximately 1.5 hours to complete. If you're proficient in all these areas, you're ready to take the exam.

- Knowing the product technical specifications

- Defining database schema

- Building layouts

- Working with the calculation dialog box

- Writing scripts

- Securing FileMaker systems

- Deploying database solutions via Server

- Data integration and data movement

- Publishing FileMaker data on the web

- Converting legacy FileMaker systems into FileMaker Pro 7

- Using FileMaker Pro 7 specific Features

The products or technologies covered are FileMaker 7 product family, data integration technologies: XML/XSLT/xDBC, networking technologies, web basics and architecture.

That tells me a little bit more about it.

• 2 weeks later...

It's going to be impossible to get the actual answers you need, because people taking the test are required to sign a NDA. Unless, of couse someone cheats.

I can tell you this - you aren't given access to FileMaker (the program) when taking the test. So basically, you HAVE to know what you're doing before taking it. If you're unsure of basic FM or database schema skills, don't waste your time or money until you are.

• Newbies

Howard,

I just found this forum and joined yesterday. I took the Certification Exam last week and failed. How's that for bluntness and candor in my first posting?

I come from a background of using FileMaker for the last dozen years from 2.0 thru 6.0v4 as an employee in a management consulting company. Many of the applications I developed were quite sophisticated and complex. However, I'm on a career change path now and want to go independent and do great FileMaker stuff for the rest of the world. The hitch is that I'm just now learning FileMaker 7 on my own and I want to get the Certification as quickly as I can since I have realized that this is the primary credential you want to have if you are going to market yourself as an independent FileMaker Developer.

You mentioned the Foundation Training Series II. I purchased it and dutifully self-studied it from cover to cover. I also purchased Rich Coulombre's "Advancing to FileMaker Pro 7" and went through it and I highly recommend it. It's video based with lots of samples and example exercises and narrated by "way cool" Rich himself.

I figured since I was highly skilled in pre-7 versions, that I could quickly (by studying these 2 courses) gain enough familiarity with version 7 to pass a multiple choice exam. How hard could it be? Rude awakening! As Brent Hedden mentioned, you have to sign an NDA so I can't talk about the questions items, etc.

However, I do know what was missing from my preparation formula - - - very little or next to none of actual FileMaker 7 hands-on experience. I don't see how anyone can pass the exam just going through study guides or even hands on classes geared around the guides and so don't let someone promise you that. The study guides - - - and the two I used are quite good - - - can only be reference supplements to your doing some live projects with a fair degree of complexity on your own.

Anyway that's my plan. I figure I'll be ready for round 2 in the test room in a month or two after I have some real live practical projects under my belt (even if I have to invent them myself).

Good luck to you and I'll keep you posted on my progress.

• Newbies

Oh Vaughn, I better not say anything specific or even too generally about the content or topic emphasis of the test. The FileMaker Police would get me. Gotta respect that NDA I signed.

I would be interested in whether or not the FileMaker 7 development pros and trainers agree with my assessment that you face an uphill battle passing the test without first having some hands on experience and I don't mean in a 2-5 day course.

Norm

This topic is 6822 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.