Proper Peer Sharing w/Ver 6 ??

This topic is 6792 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.

I have a client for a few years now that has a simple 2 PC WiFi network with a version 6 FMP database. Both PCs are Win XP Home, and both have version 6.04; PC "A" acts as the host, and PC "B" accesses the file remotely. A couple of years ago - I did initially have some problems with mysterious sharing/opening errors between the two PCs (remote PC was Win 98 at the time) - but I stabilized it, oddly with a router firmware update (or so it seemed) - and all was fine for a couple of years!

Recently, I had to rebuild PC "B" from scratch due to a drive failure. Now I'm having intermittent sharing problems - where one PC or the other can't access the database. I've read some of the postings about this topic - and apparently I've stood in violation of a couple of things that shouldn't be for a few years now:

- I always had put the database in a Shared area of the host PC (PC "A")

- I have always used DHCP from the router - so in theory - the IP addresses of the PCs could have changed.

From my reading it sounds like I should:

- NOT put the database file on a Shared area of the host PC.

- NOT Use DHCP - but static IPs for the two PCs involved. (I have a cranky, old, print server device that will also require changing too - yuck.)

What else should I do or not do to get this thing working properly? A couple of weeks ago, when this new wave of problems was reported, I developed a work around, where the PC "A" - the host, had to access the database first, and only then PC "B" - and all was fine. Now I'm getting daily calls with one or the other not being able to access the database - HELP !

Thanks in Advance,

Mark

Mark:

It sounds to me like you're letting two users access the database directly through file sharing, although you use the word "host" to describe one of the computers, which makes it sound like you're using FileMaker Sharing, so I'm a bit confused. First:

You can keep using DHCP for any computer other than the host computer. This machine should have a static IP address, simply so that the remote computer can always find the host.

Definitely do not put your databases into a shared area of a volume, as it can only cause problems. Databases should only be shared via FileMaker Sharing, or via FileMaker Server.

The way you should be working is this:

1. PC "A" opens the database.

2. PC "B" opens the database via "Open Remote" (or via the Hosts button in the Open dialogue.

If you're already doing this, and you are still getting intermittent problems, you may have a corrupt file. This would be a Bad Thing, and a whole 'nother kettle of fish.

Good luck,

-Stanley

Stanley-

Thanks for the quick reply.

You picked up on something I left out of the original posting - I do have the database configured to multi-user using TCP/IP - but for remote PC access, I've just located the database file on "host" PC and put shortcut to it on the remote PC - not good, huh? It's worked daily for about 4 years now - which just the two periods of problems I described above.

If you have any additional advise, please let me know.

Thanks again,

Mark

Mark:

At some point that file will become corrupted (if it hasn't already) due to two users accessing it at once via OS-level file sharing. If it's already corrupted, you'll see inconsistencies at some point, but that may not occur for some time, so hang on to any old archives you've got of this file, just in case.

You should create an "opener file" as a shortcut to your hosted database. There have been many, many posts on this topic, which you can dig up via the forum's search function.

-Stanley

So Stanley - I tried my best - but still no luck with accessing from the remote PC properly. Let me run down what I did:

(Reminder to those who didn't read previous posts - we're talking about FMP 6 here:)

1) Gave the host PC a fixed IP Address via the router (has an option to assign a specific IP to a specific MAC address - quite handy.)

2) Turned off the software firewalls on both host and remote PC.

3) Added the IP Address/PC Host Name to the Win XP "Hosts" file on the Remote PC.

4) Shut down/powered up the router + re-booted both PCs – confirmed that both PCs could “see” one another via “Net View” command; confirmed IP address of host PC as the proper fixed address.

5) Moved the FMP 6 database out of the host's Shared directory.

6) On the remote PC, used "Open Remote..." and added the host's proper (fixed) IP address.

Then to test things:

a) Opened the database on the host PC.

: Using “Open Remote” on the remote PC, attempted to “see” the open database on the host PC; clicking on the proper IP address, I get an FMP network activity (wavy arrows) indicator for a moment – but then nothing shows up in the “Open” box above it.

c) Tried “Local Hosts” and the other options found on that “Open Remote” window; also tried a previous entry which is the host PC name – I guess what would be called the DNS entry name “hostpcname” – interestingly, I get a different message from FMP that says something to the affect that “Now setting up TCP/IP connection for that connection…(NOT the exact words at all)” – then I see the “wavy lines” – only for nothing to show up in the “Open” box above – just like with the IP address entry.

What have I missed?

Symptoms/Temporary, “Dangerous” Remedy:

- If I move the database back to a shared directory on the host PC, I can open it on the host PC, but get the “Multi-user” warning/failure message if I attempt to open the file directly on the remote PC (which is the problem that triggered this whole incident) – but…

- If I first open the database from the remote PC (and get the ordinary FMP warning about not recommending opening a remote database across a network,) then open it from the host PC – both can share the database just fine – and without any problems (which they’ve done for years; I know, I know – it could get corrupt this way.)

HELP !!

Tangential Questions:

I accidentally typed the wrong IP address in the “Hosts” list of the “Open Remote” area of the remote PC – How do I remove the bad entry? (I added the correct entry too, of course.)

What’s my next move here?

Thanks in Advance,

Mark

Edited by Guest
Added one other step I had left out.

Mark:

On both versions of FileMaker, make sure that the Preferences->Application->General has "Network Protocol" set to "TCP/IP".

On the host computer, make sure that under File->Sharing you have each database set to "Multi-User". Once this is set, it should show that "This file is being shared via TCP/IP and is being accessed by 0 guests." Now you should be able to access the files remotely from the other machine.

-Stanley

So I had them check - both settings are set correctly.

One "diagnostic" idea I have yet to try is to create a new database (multi-user, of course) on the host PC and see if it can be seen from the remote PC.

Any other ideas? I'm really stuck here.

Thanks,

-Mark

Update - Good News - Bad News:

I created a test database (multi-user) in a non-Shared folder on the host PC - and guess what? It was "seen" by the remote PC!! I then made a copy of the main database and placed it in the same folder - and it also was accessible. This kind of implies that maybe my original main database is corrupt in some way - not good, but at least it would explain everything. However, my years of PC experience told me to reboot the host PC and confirm it still worked - and unfortunately it did not. (BTW, I didn't touch the remote PC in all of this - more evidence - of what I'm not sure - other than it seems to be a host PC thing.)

My gut says I now have all the evidence in front of me - but I'm not sure how to figure out what's going on. Is there some Win XP process that was turned on or off when the PC was rebooted that affected FMP's networking?

I've read a number of other posts related to this type of problem - but I haven't seen any clear resolution - Does anyone out there have an idea how this could be? (Please make sure to read my previous posts to see the full set of evidence to date.)

There must be a logical reason for all this - any and all related experiences would be greatly appreciated. One of you out there must have the experience and the keen mind to put the pieces of the puzzle together.

Thanks in Advance,

Mark

Mark:

I've got to think it's a Windows problem, then - in which case I can't help you, as all my servers run OSX.

-Stanley

This topic is 6792 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.