Server Maintenance This Week. ×

Online Event Registartion Database Creation?

This topic is 6823 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.

I am trying to create a Online Event Registration Database that will enable students to signup to courses with limited seating. This database would also have to be multi-user accessible as students would be scramblimg to signup just as when tickets for a concert come available.

I am competent with FM and more than with webpage desgn.

Is this a possble feat for FM pro6?

Thanks,

FKSSTECHGUY

Hi, f! We use FM5.5 Unlimited for event sign ups for a campus event my department sponsors and it works well as long as authentication is not an issue (i.e. you do not require any logins or hooking into a campus authentication system). For other things, we had to use php/MySQL. Using FM for this is great and office staff can access the db "live" and see signups and stuff, but you have to have FM Unlimited ($$$) to do it or you'll hit the IP address limit restriction quickly and have a bunch of upset students telling you they couldn't sign up.

Efficiency-wise, I'm not sure how well Web Companion handles a flood of near simultaneous requests. Multiples are OK but as far as I know, the number of sessions it can handle is not configurable (e.g. such as it is in Apache's httpd.conf) so I wouldn't trust it to handle thousands of competing browsers and refreshes. You can use FM as the backend only, however, and this may help if it's not the primary web server.

--ST

This topic is 6823 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.