Server Maintenance This Week. ×

Problems with adding fields

This topic is 8763 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.

I am a recent FMP 4.0 user and I am having trouble with adding existing fields to layouts I am modifying. I am still in the development stage of my database and therefore needing to modify things all the time. I was using Appleworks 5.0 databases before this and there is an obvious add feature on that program. The only way I have been able to do it on FMP has been very convoluted and am sure there is a better way. I know it seems trivial but it would help me a lot to get some answers as I don't possess a manual for the FMP and at this point really prefer most other features of the system. Thanks....

When in Layout mode (Command L, or select layout from the Mode menu) you will see the left handside of your screen (the status area) changes to show a variety of different tools. If you click on the box with the word field in it and drag on to your layout a highlight of a field will appear. When you let go of your mouse a window will open asking which field you wish to placed on the layout.

Should you not see the tools on the left handside of your window then your status area is probably hidden. Look at the lower left handside of your window where you will see a number, probably 100. Three icons to the right of the number is an icon with the left handside shaded. By clicking on this the status area should reappear.

Hoping this helps. smile.gif

quote:

Originally posted by richshone:

I am a recent FMP 4.0 user and I am having trouble with adding existing fields to layouts I am modifying. I am still in the development stage of my database and therefore needing to modify things all the time. I was using Appleworks 5.0 databases before this and there is an obvious add feature on that program. The only way I have been able to do it on FMP has been very convoluted and am sure there is a better way. I know it seems trivial but it would help me a lot to get some answers as I don't possess a manual for the FMP and at this point really prefer most other features of the system. Thanks....

If you are in the layout mode, grab the "field" box in the left-hand column (your pointer should become a hand), click/drag to layout. A box will appear for you to "Specify Field". Click on the existing field of your choice from the list. If it is not listed, you then must define a new field. Hope this helps.

This topic is 8763 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.