Server Maintenance This Week. ×

defining fields to repeat

This topic is 8752 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.

I know I can define the information that will be written into a field in my 'define fields' mode, but can I define a field so that if I type info into it (lets say a company name for instance) in one record it repeats itself in all records? Also related but probably simpler to do, how do I define a field so that if I type in info it repeats when I create a new record...by the way, thanks for all the help I have been getting as it has been incredibly helpful...

quote:

Originally posted by richshone:

I know I can define the information that will be written into a field in my 'define fields' mode, but can I define a field so that if I type info into it (lets say a company name for instance) in one record it repeats itself in all records?

Some possible solutions: 1.You could use the replace command to do this type of task although it is not automatic. 2. You could make the field lookup the data to be displayed, but you would need to have a field to match with, perhaps a field with a constant. 3.If you had a global field for the company name, you could either have a new record auto enter the global value into the field, or you could have the field as a calculation where it was equal to the global value.

quote:

Also related but probably simpler to do, how do I define a field so that if I type in info it repeats when I create a new record...by the way, thanks for all the help I have been getting as it has been incredibly helpful...

When defining the field click on the options button. In the Entry Options window that appears click on the drop down menu and select Auto Enter. Then check the box beside "Value from previous record".

This topic is 8752 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.