Server Maintenance This Week. ×

Opens slow across network

Jaser247

This topic is 6802 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.

Hello all,

I have a FM 5.5 server hosting some DB's. It's running on a Windows 2000 SP4 machine. Some of my in house clients use a FM shortcut (opener) to open up certain DB's across the LAN.

Well, for the last couple of weeks when someone lanches the opener it take about a min before the Database opens up. I did a port scan on the server and it has port 1025 open, does this matter and if not how can I troubleshoot this speed issue?

Hope this makes sense.

Thanks,

Jay

ok this is what I've tried so far: Just opening up the FM program takes a few. On my PC it takes about 25-30sec, on another it takes over a minute to open. I even disconnected both pc's from the network and am still having the same effect.

As for the databases, I copied one locally to my PC and it's taking about the same time. The weird thing is that on my notebook which I hardly use, the FM program opens up in 3seconds. I even copied a database locally to it and had no issues either. I think it's sounding like an installation problem, but I have about 8 users that are having the same issues. Very weird, I am going to reintall mine and see what happens.

On windows, there are some things that can really slow down launching of fmp and opening of files.

1. A lot of junk in your /tmp folder. remove these files and reboot.

2. A missing or corrupt default printer. fmp looks for one on startup.

3. sometimes just reinstalling...

Dana

This topic is 6802 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.