Server Maintenance This Week. ×

Relationship Not Working

tmac

This topic is 8671 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.

I've set up a relationship between two files based on ID numbers in text fields. Since information unique to each file will be shared with the other, I've established the relationship in both files. The match field is a unique record ID (number field) that is assigned to each student. Fields that contain personal information such as name, address, home phone, parents, SS#, age, DOB, etc. from the main file appear as ::name, ::address, ::home phone, etc. in the other. I thought as soon as I entered the correct record #, these fields would fill in. None of them do. I've indexed all the fields and made sure that the match fields are the same kind. I've tried 2 number fields then I switched them to 2 text fields and it isn't working either way. Anyone with an idea?

Your message is quite confusing to me. I'm not quite sure what you've done so far. So I'll just kind of explain how to set-up a relationship.

You can have a one to many, one to one, and many to many relationship. The best type to get to is a one to many. This means for every one record there are many related to it. For instance you have an employee with an employee ID and that employee has three telephone numbers. This is a one to many, one employee ID to many (3) phone numbers.

What you need is a match field, and that field has to be in both files. If you have an employee ID of 123 then in the other file you would have many records with employee ID of 123.

So in the main file create a field and then create that same field in the relating file. Setup the relationship linking those two fields then make sure to select the "allow creation of related records". Also when putting fields in the portals, make sure you have the field set through the relationship you've established.

HTH

Ryan

[email protected]

This topic is 8671 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.