Server Maintenance This Week. ×

invalid relationship error

aubrey

This topic is 8657 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.

Hello:

I am attempting to make a very simple relational database in FM5. I have defined my relationships, setup my portals, and all was working fine. However, after closing out of the program and re-opening the database, I can no longer add records through the portal into my relational database. The error it gives me when I attempt to add a record is "The relationship [] is not valid and must be corrected before this field can be modified." It seems to be filling in the portal with the appropriate records, it just will not let me add any new information. I have set the relationship permission to allow creation of related records, and I don't think I have any of the databases protected. What I find odd is that it let me add records before I shut down. Does anyone have any idea what might be causing this error?

Thanks for your help!

FYI:

I answered my own question (finally!)...

It looks like you cannot add data to a related database if the relationship is based on a calculated field. Why it would let me add data certain times and not others, I'm not sure. However, simply creating a mirror field and writing a short script that takes the values in the calculated field and pastes them into the non-calculated field seems to do the trick. I reset my relationship to the mirror field, and everything works again.

This topic is 8657 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.