Server Maintenance This Week. ×

Local copy Only on Network

This topic is 6792 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.

I need to be able to run a local-only copy of a database that has references to an FM5.5 server on my network. I have lots of scripts that refer to the host ip of FM Server.

Would going into the Preferences->Application and changing the Network Protocol to , allow me to use the database in a local-only state.

I do not want to have to edit all of my scripts. I just want to be able to run the local copy of the database without having any interaction with the actual production server.

Thanks

There's no easy way of doing this, since a script stores the IP address of the server as it's file reference. Actually, it's a bit more complicated than that, but that'll be fine. There is no way to "view" the file reference(s) in a FM 6 and earlier file.

Anywho - copy all of the needed file(s) to the workstation, then unplug the workstation from the network. Set the network protocol in FM to none, then load up your file(s). You should see "File X cannot be found and is required to complete this opertion" window pop up a few times. Each time, point it in the right direction, and be sure to take the check OFF of the "Save Relative Path Only". Depending on how many relationship and the such you have, you might have to go through this annoying processes several times. I would look at all the field definitions and relationships to make sure nothing was "broken" in the process. Once this is all done, plug the computer bak into the network, but keep the network protocol set to 'none' in FM. This should do the trick.

Unfortunately, FileMaker may still look at the hosted files because the file references will still be in there.

You may need to use Metadata Magic's File Reference Fixer to change the file references to the local file(s).

Ender is right, as usual - it'll still have those references. That's one thing FM did right with V7 - you can now edit those pesky references.

If I'm not mistaken, even with the 'None' setting for network protocol, it may still open the wrong copy. The only absolute, safe way to do this is to have the computer (temporarily) unplugged from the network.

This topic is 6792 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.