Sign in to follow this  
OASES

Doing a find in a one-to-many relationship

This problem is hard to explain succinctly, so I'll explain it in detail. I have Tutee & TuteeProgramHistory (TPH) files that are related by a unique serial. TPH keeps track of the semester, year, and program the student is enrolled in. Tutee has a portal to show the many programs the student is in. My problem currently is when I try to find students enrolled in Fall 2001 tutorial (it should give me no results), I get most of my students because they are enrolled in Fall programs and 2001 (Spring) programs (the frustration of doing searches in portals, it looks for any combination). Someone told me the search needs to be done in the TPH file, but then I can't import those search results back to the Tutee file so that I can view all the other programs the tutee is in. What's the best solution? If something needs clarification, please ask. Thanks.

quote:

Originally posted by OASES:

This problem is hard to explain succinctly, so I'll explain it in detail. I have Tutee & TuteeProgramHistory (TPH) files that are related by a unique serial. TPH keeps track of the semester, year, and program the student is enrolled in. Tutee has a portal to show the many programs the student is in. My problem currently is when I try to find students enrolled in Fall 2001 tutorial (it should give me no results), I get most of my students because they are enrolled in Fall programs and 2001 (Spring) programs (the frustration of doing searches in portals, it looks for any combination). Someone told me the search needs to be done in the TPH file, but then I can't import those search results back to the Tutee file so that I can view all the other programs the tutee is in. What's the best solution? If something needs clarification, please ask. Thanks.

There are almost 2 ways to bypass portals in related searches; very relevant is to know the right composition of your 'unique serial' that collates the two tables (i.e. "2001F", where 2001 is obviously the year and F stands for the Fall season).

Being strongly involved in this problem i wish i can provide you a resolution.