Server Maintenance This Week. ×

Report dedicated files

charper

This topic is 8547 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.

Hi all. I hope I'm posting this question in the most appropriate room.

We have an fmp file we use to serve our website and to preview and print fmp reports from. The problem is that when the file is in preview mode the website can't access it and website users are interfered with. The best long term solution would seem to be having the reports built in a seperate file so that there would be a master file that stores the data and serves the website and a second file dedicated to reporting on the master file's data. How is this accomplished.

(Please be as specific as you can. I have a developer's background but I'm relatively knew to filemaker and so far I'm accustomed only to working within the confines of just one file per system.)

• 2 weeks later...

Suggestion: print the reports out, that way you avoid spending long time periods in Preview mode. In fact you can print the reports without spending *any* time in preview mode.

Alternatively duplicate/backup the databases and preview the copy. That way you are not interfering with the live system. Of course technically the data will not be completely up to date, but neither is a printed copy.

Another thought... are you previewing on the host computer? *That* would halt all processing. Instead open the database on another machine and do the work on the client. It will be a bit (or a lot) slower though.

This topic is 8547 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.