relational priority

This topic is 8398 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.

I have a relationship that can result in more than one result and only the first related record of any set are appearing in my related field (in alphabetical order), and I am wondering if I can (a) change that result to all related records or (B) I can at least control the order that these results show up (as in something other than alphabetically). Can this be a useful way to implement repeating fields? Any ideas out there? Thanks...

Portals are designed to show a list of related records. Place a portal on the layout that is linked to the relationship. Place fields in the first portal row that you want to see in the list. These fields should be fields from the relationship the portal is linked to. Each row will then show data from one related record.

Chuck

thanks, that is a very simple and obvious answer to possibly the dumbest question I have posed on this forum... but you didn't answer part two - namely whether I can have these results show up in an order that is other that alphabetical...hmmm

When you set up the relationship that you use for the portal, you have an option to sort the related records on any field in the related file. That will control the order in which they are displayed in the portal.

Thanks Bob, I had been told by another 'expert' that the sort related records funtion within the relationship setup dialog doesn't work reliably so I haven't tried it yet for this purpose. I will check it out and see if it works... by the way, how's old toontown? I haven't been there since last fall, though I will be passign through during the Jazz Festival in a few weeks. I love the old Delta Hotel there, its one of my favourites in Canada. Cheers...

Things are fine here.

You're right about the (Delta) Bessborough hotel. It's quite the old landmark, and the staff there are absolutely first class. I could tell you a story about that, but this is probably not the right place. wink.gif" border="0

This topic is 8398 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.