Upgrade problems from FM4

RBJ

This topic is 6752 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.

• Newbies

Hi,

First time to this forum so please forgive if I have posted in the wrong area.

The problem I have is a runtime that i wrote 10 years ago in filemakerpro v4.

I need to upgrade to the latest filemaker and after purchaseing filemaker 8 advanced i opened the filemaker 4 files and followed the prompts to update to filemaker 8. After doing the automatic conversion the following errors are occuring.

1. I keep getting "can not modify that record cause it is open somewhere else" from my browse around this forum it looks like i need to put commit record script step in my scripts but am not familiar as to where i put this step in my scripts.

2. bad relationship error which totally locked up the runtime (had to kill the task to get the computer back). I found the offending relationship and deleted it but now some of my calcs dont work.

It seems filemaker 4 is much more forgiving with the types of relationships created.

Thanks in advance,

Brad

For more info about the "the record is open somewhere else" you should read Ilyse Kazar's "Record Ownership" article (page 74) in the big "migration_foundations.pdf", which is on FileMaker's site. Many things about "record-locking" are different in 7/8. She explains it well, with charts to show the differences.

In your particular case my guess is that you are editing related records, then finding that the parent record is locked. You need to commit either the parent record, or the child records to release the lock (depends on how/where you're editing them). In general you should commit records after editing them (you only need to commit once at the end of a Loop however, unless a contained step, such as a Go To Related Record [] or Lookup requires it sooner).

There are several reasons why, but one is the possibility of multiple windows, where even the same person could try and have the same record open in 2 places, which isn't allowed.

(P.S. I moved this thread to Upgrading & Migration. It's not really a "Developer" topic so much. Doesn't much matter, as most of us just read as "Recent Posts")

Edited by Guest
Moved thread

• Newbies

12.4MB sheesh

OK, thanks for the tips, i'll go read for a while :

I had trouble finding the file, for those that may look here in the future I found it at http://www.sofa.on.ca/files/migration_foundations.pdf

Regards Brad

This topic is 6752 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.