Server Maintenance This Week. ×

FM 3 and Tiger- Network ??

This topic is 6718 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.

We have been using FM 3 (and 4) for years on OS 9 and 8 machines, but just recently upgraded to an iMac G5 running Tiger.

I have figured out how to connect the computers to each other, but have run into a problem trying to open the FM files on the new machine over the network.

Usually, we use the Chooser to log onto the machine which has the FM files. Then when that folder (in this case, called "Database") is mounted, a simple double click and we can open them as long as they are opened on that computer.

With this new computer, doing the same thing brings up the warning about "Being a host of a multi user file.....". BUT, if you use the File>open> hosts, we can open them as we did before.

Any suggestions.

Note: We have no plans on upgrading FM, unless someone can come up with a really good reason.

Thanks.

Really good reason to upgrade: eventually it will completely break under the modern OS and won't work any more. It sounds like it's starting to happen now.

Yup. I can definitely feel it happening. It's been working so well for so long.... but we "had" to get an iMac. :

I've got it to work through FM's "host" option as mentioned above, but initial testing shows a definite slow down, which is obviously bad.

Well, it's working in CLassic mode which I believe is a virtual machine inside a virtual machine. There is a lot of processing going on at the OS level.

You could try loooking around for a used Mac, something recent that can still boot directly into MacOS 9. These articles may help:

http://docs.info.apple.com/article.html?artnum=86209

http://docs.info.apple.com/article.html?artnum=25114

But just wait till you start working with FMP 8. You'll never look back.

Thanks, Vaughn. I have an OS 9 (G3) machine that is currently acting as the host. Works fine. It was just trying to get this new machine to access those files that opened up this can of worms. We thought by hosting the files on the Tiger machine, it would bypass THAT problem, but that created a new problem.

I am really intimidated by the newer relational versions. While I don't see an immediate need for it, it's probably a case of "I don't know what I don't know". I am pretty familiar with the flat file aspect of FM3 and 4, but my eyes glaze over when I think about portals etc.

Our system is a simple 3 file system. Invoices, Customers and Parts Catalog. Sometimes I wish for the good ol' days of SE's and SE30's :

Mike

Usually, we use the Chooser to log onto the machine which has the FM files. Then when that folder (in this case, called "Database") is mounted, a simple double click and we can open them as long as they are opened on that computer.

With this new computer, doing the same thing brings up the warning about "Being a host of a multi user file.....". BUT, if you use the File>open> hosts, we can open them as we did before.

When you mount the remote file on your desk top and open the files in this way you asre asking for file corruption. I am surprised that this has not already happened.

The fact that you can go File -> Open-> Hosts is good. This is the way in which it is supposed to work. Note that the files must first be open on the "server" machine for you to see them this way and networking must be turned on in each file.

FileMaker does it's own tunnelling and does not use the operating system file sharing for this. It requires a persistant connection to insure the integrity of both the program files and the data.

HTH

Dave McQueen

"I am pretty familiar with the flat file aspect of FM3 and 4..."

Err, FMP 3.0 was the first version that *was* relational. FMP 2.1 and earlier were flat file.

The reason "relational" is a big deal is because it makes it *easier* to do complex stuff, not harder.

This topic is 6718 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.