missing linked records

mag4750

This topic is 8313 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.

• Newbies

I am running a 4.1 filemaker database that has a master record for each student and it has a related file that consists of a daily log which contains records for the students daily visits to the nurse. We have a problem where records from the daily log file are somehow beeing deleted. Most recently, the master file name was changed and I should just have had to relink the daily log file, but when I did, about 700 of the 780 records were gone. Does anyone know of any known problems with loosing related records?

I do have it set up to delete the related records in the daily log if you delete the master record in the master file,but that should not cause 90% of the records to disappear unless there is a bug.

thanks,

Mike

What are you using as your match file? A student ID number? If the daily logs have the ID numbers in them and your relationship (one-to-many, I assume?) is set up correctly (matching the right fields - IDs?), you shouldn't lose your data just by changing the name of a file and then changing it back, as far as I can tell.

But I guess we'd really need a bit more info to give a more intelligent answer, so please explain your database a bit more.

ZAP

• Newbies

when a student comes in to the nurse she pulls up the students master health record and enters info in the daily log portal. Each time a student comes in a new daily log record is created with a matched id field to create the link. On a day to day basis everything seems to work fine, so I think all my relationships are configured properly.

When they do major things like renaming the master file, they have problems and I have to fix it. So far, I have been able to fix things by restoring a back up of the daily log. I was hoping there was a known bug, if not it is probably something I have done wrong.

Thanks,

Mike

This topic is 8313 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.