Server Maintenance This Week. ×

Triggering Scripts?

This topic is 6731 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.

I have noticed Stanley mention that barcodes can trigger scripts. He even posted the code for [ctrl-1] for use with code 3 of 9 as being *$H1$J*, unfortunately for me that does not trigger my ctrl-1 script in filemaker using the same barcode font.

What I'm hoping to do is have a list of barcode script triggers (ctrl-1, ctrl-2, etc) so each employee can scan the specific task (script) and then our physical job ticket (invoice number). So after the script is initiated it will pause in the invoice number field, until the job ticket is scanned and then the information has been properly updated.

As a default, my scanner uses carraige return as a terminator. I'm assuming I have to remove any terminator to properly make use of a ctrl-1 barcode (so as to not interupt the script). I did this and the forementioned code still does not seem to trigger my script.

Anyone have any advice for me? I am open to purchasing whatever font that may be necessary if it's a matter of using something different. I'm using a WASP WCS 3900 scanner. Is it possible that the limitation is in the scanner?

Storing a preamble will not help me as there will be multiple scanning stations in our workshop where different employees will be scanning for different reasons (different scripts).

On a related note, I can't seem to find codes for control characters anywhere on the 'net.

Your help is greatly appreciated, thanks! Curt

------

UPDATE

I emailed the manufacturer and this was their response:

Unfortunately all the different barcode symbologies are limited in what characters can be encoded by the ASCII set. The CTRL isn't an ASCII character so cannot be put into a barcode. In general no keystroke combination can be entered either, such as Shift 5. You can put % in, but that's not the same as hitting the shift key then hitting the 5. It's its own ASCII character, whereas Shift isn't on the ASCII chart.

Edited by Guest

This topic is 6731 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.