unknown user locking a record

ggh

This topic is 6685 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.

I'm working with a school district running FMP 7 desktop and server in an all OS X environment. I got this message from them asking for help, but I'm not sure where to start the troubleshooting! See below... Suggestions greatly appreciated!

"About once per week, we have to have the tech department restart FMP on the server as we get the following message.

"?(?)" is modifying this record. You cannot use this record until "?(?)" is finished.

This happens seemingly indiscriminately and has caused some havoc here when we need to access files for meetings.

This means that a user has started an edit process on a record or otherwise locked it. This generally speaking is not dangerous. In the Server settings and in the Privilege Sets, establish a reasonable idle discconect time. That will release the record.

HTH

Steven

Seems strange that the message doesn't identify the account name of the user holding the record lock.... I've never seen this problem so I'll ask the obvious question: Are you using the most recent update to FM Server (7v4) and FMP (7v3) (7v3a on windows)?

• 4 weeks later...

I've seen this happen when a the FM client on a user's machine crashes unexpectedly while editing a record. A couple of time this happened we actually had to completely close the file on the server (forcing the unknown user out of the file) before we could clear it. The upshot is that I haven't had this happen with Server 8, only Server 7x.

This topic is 6685 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.