send e-mail script step

This topic is 6705 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.

Looking at the Filemaker Help section it seems that they have improved the OS X compatibility with the Send Email script step, but I am wondering if this means that the only way to do this is if Mail is your default mail app on your OS?

What if you have Mail, use it for some things and yet have another application set up as your default mail application? I for one don't use Mail reguarly so its not my default Mail Server, but I do have it on my computer so would gladly use it as the end result of a Filemaker script if necessary, especially considering that I am trying to create something for other users to eventually utilize.

With this in mind, it would seem to me that the only way to ensure that someone else using your solution can utilize this script (especially in MAC OS X), is if there is a way to force Filemaker to open either a certain application or to have a script step that CHOOSES the application.

Is this possible or, is this only possible by creating an Apple Script that does this, which is triggered from Scriptmaker?

According to FM help:

Note To send mail, you must have an Internet connection and the following configurations.

Windows:

A [Mail] section in the Win.ini file.

Microsoft Exchange or another email applications that is MAPI compliant installed and configured properly.

Mac OS:

Mac OS X Mail or Microsoft Entourage installed to send email with FileMaker Pro.

Internet system preferences configured for use with one of the supported mail applications.

You might look into using the OpenURL script step with a mailto link, but watch out for the gotchas! Heavy users of email with FM all swear on using a plugin such as SMTPIt.

David

An alternative to plugins if you're on Mac OSX is this osaxen:

http://www.lestang.org/article39.html

...take a look at the directory, pretty comprehensive huh???

http://www.satimage.fr/software/en/dict_xmail.html

--sd

This topic is 6705 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.