FINDS - The Right Way or Wrong Way?

This topic is 6696 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.

I'm building a relational DB to track employee training, attendance, job performance and several other parameters. I'm having a problem developing the correct type of "FIND" scripts.

Here's the problem:

For certain actions, the user will want to find only a single record and then add data to other tables related to that record only. I know I can accomplish this by providing the user with a layout containing the right searchable fields and performing a simple find.

For other actions, the user will want to find a selected group of records, and then have FM add the same data to all the records in this found set. (For example, a group of employees who have attended the same training class on the same date, will have this information posted to their records automatically.) The data added will be new records in a related table (or tables). I have a routine built for finding the records via a radio box setting a "selection flag" but I'm not sure if this is the right way to do it.

Are there certain "standard" methods for setting up these two different types of finds?

Edited by Guest

Well, I'm not aware of wrong way of finding things. If you find it, you find it. Doesn't really matter how you got to it.

But of course, there are better ways of performing finds than others. I see no reason why what you're doing will not work. There may be better (faster) methods of doing the same thing, but I would need more information.

"a group of employees who have attended the same training class on the same date"

If the employee record are related to training class records you can sue the Go to Related Records script step (often referred to as GTRR) instead of performing a find.

I have done a number of course enrolment databases. You probably need a join file between training sessions and employees because it's a many to many relationship.

This topic is 6696 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.