Server Maintenance This Week. ×

Copy Paste Problems

This topic is 6690 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.

Various computers at my company including mine are now experioencing issues with copy/paste losing functionality after a few times it is used. I am not sure if this has anything to do with Windows clipboard, but has anyone else experienced this problem and found a way to fix it?

Thanks!

Simonen:

I'll echo Soren's point regarding copy/paste and Set Field[]. It can be hard to diagnose problems with copy/paste because the clipboard is at the system level, and can be accessed by any application, and even the system itself. Also, when someone switches to another application and does a copy/paste, you've now got non-FileMaker data in the clipboard, and it's a real mess if it gets pasted into your database.

More specifically, what do you mean when you say that copy/paste "loses functionality?" Is the copy working? The paste? Does it stop working across the system, or only in FMP?

-Stanley

It seems that I cannot use the copy or paste within filemaker or between filemaker and other apps. However, copy paste works fine with other applications that do not involve filemaker. I always look for a way to use Set[field], but only use copy paste as a last resort.

as an FYI, when you upgrade to FM8, you will have NO reason at all to use the clipboard. Script variables, in my humble opinion, is the best new feature of FM8. Scrip variable is like having a "personal clipboard"

This topic is 6690 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.