Server Maintenance This Week. ×

First of all, let me just say, I created this because I'm not a huge fan of tabbed navigation. The new feature in 8 is nice, but I in no way think it should be used as your main navigation. I'll

This topic is 6678 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.

First of all, let me just say, I created this because I'm not a huge fan of tabbed navigation. The new feature in 8 is nice, but I in no way think it should be used as your main navigation.

I'll start by listing the top 2 things I dislike about tab Navigation.

1. Dynamically changing tab names, tab colors, which tabs show up depending on whos logged in, is a pain in the butt.

2. I work with clients who have no standard screen resolution (you probably do to). If you have too many tabs across the screen, they have to scroll over to see them. Its easier to scroll down, than to scroll over.

So, I made a side navigation bar(a portal) that manages my users, thier passwords, and groups, along with what shows to who, and navigate through all of it, without creating a script.

This is all based off the idea that if you have 2 text fields say field a & field b.

If field a contains:

and field b contains:

those fields can form a valid relationship.

Basically, I have 3 tables, one contains users, the other contains groups, related by group name.

The third table privs, is related to the Groups table by a field called tAccess_Level. In the groups table, this field contains a single character (1-9, a-z). In the Privs table, it contains return separated characters like (1¶2¶4)

Here is a breakdown of the Privs Table

nSort_Order

tDisplay_Name

tLayout_Name

tAccess_Level

Display name is what I want the user to see. If I'm taking them to layout _Add_Records_USer thats not what I want them to see. So it says: Add Records

Layout name is, you guessed it, the name of the layout you want to switch too for that Display name.

In access Level I put the numbers of the groups I want to be able to see/navigate to that layout. For example. I have 4 groups, Group 1 has a Access Priv of 1, 2 has Access Priv of 2....ect

So say I wanted group 1, 2, and 4 to be able to add records. I would insert 1¶2¶4 into Privs::tAccess_Level

The last field sort order, I added so that Home would not be at the bottom of the navigation Portal, I wanted it at the top, along with specifying where the other layouts appeared.

I'm probably doing a horrible job of explaing this, so I'll just post the file for you to take a look at, if you have any questions/comments, feel free to post them.

Navigation.fp7.zip

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.