Server Maintenance This Week. ×

Unable to import data in FMP 8 that worked in FMP 7

This topic is 6562 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.

Hi everyone. I'm a FileMaker newbie, so please be gentle. :(

I am attempting to import a .dbf (level III) file into an existing database in FMP 8. I was able to import these files easily in FileMaker 7, but now that we've upgraded, each time I try to import the file, I receive a message that says all of the records have been skipped due to errors. However, the exact same file comes into FileMaker 7 with no problem.

The only workaround I've found is to open the .dbf file in MS Excel, save it as an .xls document, and then import that file into FMP 8. I do not manipulate the data in any way, just saving it with a different extension, and it works. I am just adding new records, not even trying to update existing, so it seems like this should be an easy task. How can I resolve this problem?

Edited by Guest

But wait! There's more!

I've now figured out that *sometimes* it will import the file into FMP 8. Apparently, I'm sometimes getting an error if I try to delete a record that says "There is not enough room on the disk to complete this operation. Make more room on the disk, then try again." (The database file is stored on a 160GB server with plenty of space, so I have no idea why I'm getting that.) Anyway, if I get that error message, I am also unable to import the files. But I don't get the error every time I open FMP. I have no idea what's triggering it..but the two seem to go hand-in-hand.

• 3 months later...

I hate to "bump" this post...but it's still an issue and I'm nervous about using my one free call to FMP tech support on this issue. Has anyone ever seen anything like this before?

Summary of problem: Attempting to import .dbf file into FM8 and getting an error that says all records were skipped due to errors. The same import worked fine in FM7, and WILL work in FM8, but the workaround appears to be "activating" the database by adding, then immediately deleting a new record. Otherwise, if importing fails and I try to add a record, I get an error saying "There is not enough room on the disk to complete this operation. Make more room on the disk, then try again."

This topic is 6562 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.