Server Maintenance This Week. ×

Portals?

VShine

This topic is 8601 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.

• Newbies

I am creating a database that is meant to score some records with keywords once a collection of records have been scored I need to label the subset of records with a category name.

I have set up a many to many relational database using a portal. When using a pull down list of established keywords the records show up in the portal. Once this sub set has een found I need to enter test in a field that would assign its value to the visible records.

Is it possible to use a variable to get the value of the field and then insert this text into a field in another file?

quote:

Originally posted by VShine:

I am creating a database that is meant to score some records with keywords once a collection of records have been scored I need to label the subset of records with a category name.

I have set up a many to many relational database using a portal. When using a pull down list of established keywords the records show up in the portal. Once this sub set has een found I need to enter test in a field that would assign its value to the visible records.

Is it possible to use a variable to get the value of the field and then insert this text into a field in another file?

Is the other file related to the current file? If so, is the relationship between the current file and the other file either many-to-one or one-to-one? If so, using a simple Set Field command will do the job:

Set Field [ Relationship::destField, sourceField ]

If not, you can either copy and past the data, or you can use a global field and a constant relationship.

Chuck

• Newbies

Thanks for the suggestion. Unfortunatly this did not work, partially due to my lack of experience.

Let me pose the question differently:

How are the records taht are displayed in a portal treated? are these a found sub set of the database?

Can set Field put test from one field into another?

Vince

This topic is 8601 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.