Server Maintenance This Week. ×

showing subset of values

Jo

This topic is 8594 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.

• Newbies

I having been a fmp user for awhile and now that I have upgraded to fmp 5 I have a question regarding showing a subset of values. I have a database with a field called

product name that has dozens and dozens of values in it. I am wanting to have only partial lists show when a category is selected. I have tried setting up a joined relationship for the file and can not get it to work. All help will be appreciated.

quote:

Originally posted by Jo:

I having been a fmp user for awhile and now that I have upgraded to fmp 5 I have a question regarding showing a subset of values. I have a database with a field called

product name that has dozens and dozens of values in it. I am wanting to have only partial lists show when a category is selected. I have tried setting up a joined relationship for the file and can not get it to work. All help will be appreciated.

Set up a relationship as a self join using the category field as the match field on both sides.

Define the value list to use values from a vield, and select "only related values" and choose your self join relationship in the pop up menu. Select your product field in the list of fields on the left.

In layout mode select your product field and choose Field Format from the Format menu. Choose pop-up menu and select the value list you just created.

The menu will only show values that correspond to products with the category selected.

Chuck

This topic is 8594 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.