Server Maintenance This Week. ×

Edit Dynamic Lists

arnica

This topic is 8572 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.

If by "dynamic value list" you mean a value list based on a field... create a new record with the new value in the field. It will automatically be added to te value list.

<<If by "dynamic value list" you mean a value list based on a field... create a new record with the new value in the field. It will automatically be added to te value list.>>

This I realize...no, what I mean is the dynamic value list appears and the user may choose from that list OR WHAT I WANT is for them to be able to add to the showing list.

I hope this makes it more clear what I need. Sorry to be confusing.

Jo Ann

In FileMaker Pro the way to do this is to allow people free entry into the field. For this I use pop-up lists because the user can select an item from the list, or click into the field again and type whatever they want. If the value list is dynamic the newly entered value will automatically be added to the value list.

Over the web it's a bit harder, because html is more limiting. You would need to have a pop-up menu that displays the value list items, plus have a separate text field nearby for them to type into should the value they want not be on the menu. A little bit awkward from an interface perspective but it will work.

I'd take a different tack and ask whether the ability to select an ontion not on the value list is important enough to do all of this mucking around? If it will happen 20% of the time I'd do it, but not for 1% or "just because I want people to have the option."

This topic is 8572 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.