Auto-display of related data

courgettelawn

This topic is 6618 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.

• Newbies

I am putting the finishing touches to my first Filemaker Pro database which is documenting various artefacts I have been researching for my PhD. The database is relatively simple with one main table and two related tables. The link between the three tables is the Record_ID which is just an auto-entry running number series. Record_ID is the foreign key in the two related tables. I have 3 layouts (Object, Provance and References) based on the three tables and Record_ID appears in all three so I know at a glance that the correct data has been entered for any given object record. I would like the Record_ID data which auto-enters on the layout related to the main table (Object) to also appear in its related fields in the other two layouts (Provenance and References). I have tried finding out how to do this via Help but without luck and the only way I can make the tables work together is to manually add the relevent Record_ID number in the related Record_ID fields on the Provencance and References layouts.

What is the best way around this? Your advice will be much appreciated!

Many thanks,

Tehmina

• Newbies

Have you set up the relationships in the 'Define Database' panel? In my database which has a similar structure to yours, I have the main record have an auto generated serial and a portal for each of the 2 other tables which in the database structure all share the reference from the first table.

This topic is 6618 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.