Server Maintenance This Week. ×

Calculation on Value list?

lark04

This topic is 8510 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.

I have two fields defined as 'Group' and 'Group Area'. Group is defined as a value list. What I am trying to achieve is that when a user makes a Group selection then depending on this selection a value list is displayed for Group Area. So there is a number of valulist that can be displayed for Group Area depending on the selection made in Group. (Hope this makes sense). I've been trying to do a calculation on Group (i.e. if Group = 'blah' then display valuelist 1 for field Group Area elses if Group = 'blah2' then display valuelist 2 for field Group Area, etc).

Or should I be using portals?

If you're using FileMaker 5, you can use hierarchal value lists. Basically, you have a related database with group/group area information. You create a relationship from your current database to the new one based on the group field. Then you define the value list to show values from the group area field in the new database, restricting the values shown to those that are related.

Chuck

I don't know the direct answer, but a possibility would be to have a value list that is shorter (perhaps the first few sentences or so) and have the data you really want either calculate based on the value in this field or use a related database.

Chuck

Thanks for the reply Chuck. I have it working now. The only issue I now have is that my my first field, group, which is a value list also has the option of 'Other' so the user can override the choices. When this option is used FMP5 gives warning "This field is defined to contain only specific value - Allow this value?". How do I stop this warning?

This topic is 8510 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.