Still doesn't work

SnipeD

This topic is 8487 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.

I don't quite understand it. But i 'll try to explain my problem different.

I want to select a car brand in a list of values. Then I want to select a type of this brand car from a list of values. Only the types corresponding to this brand should be showed.

In the database are several cars of the same type. In the value list i only want to show each type Once!

Do you have an answer to this question? Thx in advance

I think you can solve this the same way as the province/city problem. laugh.gif

Here's more detail. Make up a related file called ModelInfo containing the car/model (or Province/city) info Fields like so:

Make,Model

-------------

Ford,Bronco

Ford,Model T

Ford,Fairlane

Chevrolet,Impala

Chevrolet,Lumina

Chevrolet,Cavalier

etc.

Now, in your main database, set up a relationship from the Make in your main database to the Make field in the ModelInfo. Then when you go to select a value list, pick "Use values from field" and then in the next dialog that comes up: "Only related records" selecting the relationship that you just created from the popup menu. Finally, select the Model (or city) field.

I have tried your sollution but it wont work because i can't select "Only related records". There is not any option for that. I am using FM 4.1. Is this the problem? Can u help me find a sollution that works with this version? Thx in advance

Right. Sorry, I should have read your first post more carefully. I agree with John that the cleanest solution is to upgrade to FM5.

A workaround is to use a portal instead of a value list. Use the same files and relationship as I described above. Use a normal value list to select the make, and then have a portal that displays the models. You can overlay a transparent button over the portal row that executes a script or a set field command to set the model field in your main file to the model value in the related record.

This topic is 8487 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.