value lists and lookups

richardb

This topic is 8420 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.

I have two fields in my database, Item Number and Operation descritption which are listed in another related file.

What I want to a achieve is, if you click on item number, a value list of all the item numbers comes up and once one is selected, the corresponding operation description is entered AND (and this is the part I can't do) when the operation desciption is clicked on, the list of operations pops up and the item number is automatically entered!! I can do one or the other but not both. The idea being that the user can look-up either the item number OR the description and the other corresponding variable is automatically entered. Any help much apprectiated.

------------------

• 4 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Just a suggestion.

Why not use a value list that picks up the Item Number AND the Operation

e.g. 23 Plastic Frog

This way the user can see what the operation is and choose it.

I do this on the Item number field, go to Field Format and make a Value list based on the other file. It works separately to the relationship.

Hope that makes sense

• 3 weeks later...

I also ran into that problem. I solved it the same way: showing both the number and the discription. It works fine, but I realy hope that Filemaker provides us a way to show only the discription, while choosing the number in the next version of FM !

This topic is 8420 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.