incorrect display of value list

Dave E

This topic is 8470 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.

I have encountered a peculiar problem.I have a field formatted as a value list. When I click on the field the value list (which draws its values from another file) displays only 10 values, although there are 112 records in the source file. I'm running FM 4.0v1 on an elderly Mac (with plenty of RAM). I'm sure there's a simple explanation- I just can't find it. Thanks

First update to v3.

The value list will only display the unique values of the field. If 10 records contain "Canada" the value "Canada" will only display once in the value list.

Thanks for the responses.

All the records/values in the secondary file are unique. However, the records/values in field being referenced in the secondary file are the product of a concatenate function i.e. the field type is calculation, whereas the field type in the primary file is text.

Using your files only 9 of the codes appeared, just as you described. The problem seems to be that the 'product code' field in your 'Product Master' file is a calculation and result is set to be 'number'. It is therefore ignoring all alpha chat=racters and there are then only 9 different codes so it is in fact working correctly!

Change the filed to 'text' in define fields and it showss all the product codes.

It's a mistake I have often made since the default for a calculation is 'number' and its easy to forget to change it. It would have been better if the default was text since this works even if you require a number!! Oh well I suppose Filemaker had their reasons or was it just to make life difficult for us all?

You MUST opgrade to v3. In the version v1, there is a bug that relating records (and that is what you have, if you have a value list with records of another file) will not show completely. I had the same problems with layouts containing fields of another file. Since I upgraded to v3, everything is OK

Gerd

Thanks John, your observation re: text and numbers solved the problem. I did discover that changing the field definition is not enough: one needs to delete and then re-create the value list to make it work properly.

This topic is 8470 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.