Get filename after Import w/dialog

This topic is 6603 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.

There have been several posts on similar questions (Topic#173032 in particular) but I haven't found an answer to my situation.

My script contains an Import step that includes the dialog asking the user to locate the file she wants to import. On Mac, it's the OSX Open File dialog; I imagine there's something similar for Windows XP. I want my script to be able to subsequently grab the file name or path that she selected.

Can it be done for both OS's, without external scripting or tricks that depend on the file being in a certain folder?

Are you actually Importing the file and then want the name of it?

Well, the file name will be stored in each record that was imported, as a batch i.d. So, yes - unless there's a different way to do it.

I just don't want the user to have to type a file name. If she can use the OS's Open File dialog (thrown up by the Import script step) to locate the file, that should be enough.

If it's not straightforward, I could just generate a batch i.d. based on timestamp, I suppose. But it seems like what I'm trying to get (name of file that was just Imported) might be a not-uncommon need.

This topic is 6603 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.