Showing window name in header

aldipalo

This topic is 6581 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.

How can I show the window name in the header of the page? I tried to set up a global calc field using Get(windowname) as the calc, but it shows whatever the first windowname is but not the current window.

What I am trying to accomplish is have the Window Name>layout name in the header so I don't need to look at the top bar. I find that when I'm navigating all over I wind up with multiple pages open which tends to get very messy.

Any suggestions?

TIA,

Al

Yeah, I know. I tried something similar once, and I was disappointed to find it would not "refresh" itself.

One approach is to imbed a "Set Field" script step into your navigation scripts. Your global field would need to be changed from a calculation field to a Text field and stored as a Global. The script step would set the global field using the Get ( WindowName ) function ... a manual refresh, if you will.

Not terribly elegant and, in fact, there is a substantial downside to this approach. If you're planning to have multiple windows open, and all those windows have the same global field, they'll all be updated through those Set Field script steps. You could alleviate this to some degree by having unique global fields in each Table ... but you'll encounter the same problem if two windows (based on the same Table) are open simultaneously. All these considerations drove me back to "static" text objects on my layouts.

Stay tuned ... someone else probably has a brighter idea.

Now that you got me thinking I believe Matt Petrowsky has a video where he uses a technique similar to what we want to do. Problem is I cannot remember which video it was. He creates a separate table for window names so he can track them and tell which window is opened and if it is a multi user app it makes sure that if another user is also accessing that window everything is properly maintained. Perhaps someone can recall which video it is and I can try to use his application to accomplish what I need?

Thanks for getting me thinking.

Al

This topic is 6581 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.