Server Maintenance This Week. ×

Need to open a PDF in Acrobat, but how?

This topic is 6609 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.

• Newbies

I had been using a previous version (5.5) and was able to create a script that included the "open URL" function to open a PDF in Acrobat, but I can't seem to get it to work in v.8.

Even with the URL dialog open (so I can check that the path is correct), nothing happens. The PDF is located on another drive on the network -- could that be the problem?

I've read some postings that refer to 'Events" but that's not something I'm familiar with.

I'd be a hero at the office if I could pull this off . . . thanks.

Well, I have never used the open URL step to open external files, but I have some suggestions.

1)Insert the PDF into a container field using the Insert File script step. Then use the Export Field Contents script step to open the file. In the "Specify output file" option of the Export Field Contents script step you can tell it to automatically open the file once it's exported.

2)Insert the PDF into a container field using the Insert Object script step. Once in the field, the users can open the PDF by double-clicking the container field. This is only available for Windows and is not particulary flexible in terms of specifying the object to insert dynamically.

3) Look into a plug-in that will launch a file. I use Troi's File Plug-in. It has a function that will launch a file specified in the parameter.

Hope this is useful to you.

hello,

this still works in 8. i have just done a quick test file and it's fine. maybe your network path is the problem, try using a local path and work from there. alternatively, you may want to put the pdf in a container field.

cheers,

jd.

hello,

this still works in 8. i have just done a quick test file and it's fine. maybe your network path is the problem, try using a local path and work from there. alternatively, you may want to put the pdf in a container field.

cheers,

jd.

I just tested it as well and it seems to work just fine. I concur with JaneDoe, check your path to make sure it is a valid path.

This topic is 6609 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.