Server Maintenance This Week. ×

FMS8 Clients become unresponsive / freeze

This topic is 6603 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.

I haven't pinpointed the problem but here's the circumstances. I'm running FMS8v2 on Mac OS X Server 10.4.5 w/plenty of ram and disk space. I'm serving about 60 files to 20 Mac clients running 8v2.

I've recently started consolidating some of my files and I believe it's causing the problem. When consolidating I import a table into the main file, fix/add TOs, import scripts, and duplicate layouts. At some point during this process the majority of my 20 client's FMP application totally freezes requiring a 'Force Quit'.

I'll have to do some more experimenting to pinpoint what's causing it and I'll report back. In the meantime I was hoping somebody might shed some light.

I'd recommend not doing this type of structural upheaval with clients connected. Instead, work on an offline copy, then after each module is complete, take the files offline and transfer the data to the new version.

It's important that during this process, you keep archives of the files prior to each import, and take detailed notes about the consolidation actions taken in each iteration.

I feel your solution would certainly solve the problem but having recently upgraded to FMP8 from 6, I've thoroughly enjoyed the ability to manipulate the files without forcing all clients to quit and having to make changes offline. It would be nice to know exactly what kinds of changes/additions can be made without locking up all the clients. Can I import a table? Can I change a TO? Can I change a calc field? Where do we draw the line?

This topic is 6603 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.