Comma-separated items

K1200

This topic is 6568 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.

O.K., I've figured out (finally -- on a 4th pass of the layout wizard) how to make my report group properly.

MY REMAINING ISSUE is how to get the listed items to be separated by commas across the page -- rather than printed in vertical columns. In the accompanying database, the word “Clear” would show all synonyms separated by commas:

Clear --

Bright, Transparent, Lucent, < . . . and so on>

I've turned on the Slide Field option to no avail. This is my first attempt at a grouped report and I would appreciate it if someone could point me in the right direction.

Thanks

(An aside: I posted this question a few days ago under Printing, which I now realize was the wrong place; Is there a way to remove that post? It has no attached responses.)

ReportImproved.fp7.ZIP

Edited by Guest

Thanks; it works! So far, I've been able to pick up most of the fundamental elements of FMP (calculations, value lists, etc.) -- but it's these combination usages that don't come easy for me.

FOLLOW UP QUESTIONS: When does FMP build the Value List (of synonyms) for each word? -- on the fly, as needed, word-by-word? -- or are they pre-built and kept around? If my example is expanded to several thousand words -- with several synonyms for each word -- will file sizes and performance become issues?

I appreciate your help on this.

for your follow up questions look-up "Defining field indexing options" in the Filemaker help file.

It occurs to me your file could be one table as in attached example, though I'm not sure which is faster or has a smaller file size.

Word.zip

This topic is 6568 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.