Many-to-Many?

This topic is 6557 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.

• Newbies

I am in the process of creating a database for my estate agency business. So far I have created two tables. One headed 'Properties' and the other headed 'contacts'.

From the contacts layout I want to be able to view properties through a portal with matching multiple relationship critera. I aslo want to be able to view related contacts via a portal from the properties layout.

Should I be creating a third 'bridge' table?

Am I living in dream land?

is this possible?

Is this a many-to-many relationship?

Any help greatly appreciated!

JC x

If you need to record multiple Contacts for each Property, or multiple Properties for each Contact, then yes, use a join table. Maybe call it Contact_Property, and relate to it from Contact via ContactID, and from Property via PropertyID. Then place a portal of Contact_Property on both a Contact layout and a Property layout. This Contact_Property entity is also the place to put anything describing that join, like the Date Purchased, Date Sold, Value at Purchase, Value at Sale, Status, etc.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Newbies

I'm doing this with med students and evaluators. The join table is the evaluation. I am not using a portal. It works beautifully until one of the med students has the same last name as the other. When I do a find, only the first Smith shows up. This field is a value list from the Student ID field and the student last name. Have you encountered this problem? I must be missing some basic point because this is going to happen constantly.

• Newbies

I'm doing this with med students and evaluators. The join table is the evaluation. I am not using a portal. It works beautifully until one of the med students has the same last name as the other. When I do a find, only the first Smith shows up. This field is a value list from the Student ID field and the student last name. Have you encountered this problem? I must be missing some basic point because this is going to happen constantly.

Sorry, your problem is not very clear. Could be an issue with your relationships, could be that the value list filters out duplicates, could be that you're displaying results in the wrong table.

This topic is 6557 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.