Server Maintenance This Week. ×

communication with host interrupted?

This topic is 6606 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.

• Newbies

I have many issues with Filemaker 6,7 and 8 disconnecting from the host. I tested many versions of databases, many switches, many hosts and I can't find anything similar why would FM client loose conection. I even recreated database without records (I thought they were corrupted) and this did not help. My current config: FMP 8v2 as a host on Windows XP Pro and 2 clients (also XP Pro) as users. Not server version. 10-Multiuser license. All was working fine for 4 months and than it started to act. What could be the cause? How to fix it? I noticed MANY users have problems with disconnecting from the host but I did not find any solution. All pcs are desktops and they disconnect in the middle of entering data. It's nuts.

Things to look for:

1. wireless networks (generally not a good way to connect, as are prone to RF interference).

2. either the server, or the clients are going into Sleep / energy saver mode?

3. power issues -- server, routers or switches are losing power? have you checked to make sure your UPS is actually functioning (the batteries die eventually)

You need more clues -- did anything change around the time the problems started? Any common issues with the clients that do, and do not lose connection?

• Newbies

I don't used wireless network for filemaker pcs, they are connected by 100Bt wire. No sleep or power saving on, as I said it happens when someone is entering data. No issue with switches (I tested few of them) or routers. I shared the same copy of the database with no records on differentt network (different switch, different OS - Mac Os X, different users) and it still lost communication. It's has to be FileMaker issue.

Well, I don't know if a client hosting would have this same issue, but my FM Server 8 box was dropping connections until I set the Ethernet system settings manually to use 100Mb/Full duplex. It was an annoying solution since we'd invested in the gigabit hardware, but going back to 100Mb fixed it.

If you're already on 100Mb, it may help to turn the auto-negotiate off, and set the speed manually.

Edited by Guest

• Newbies

I just don't understand how they can suggest that. They are selling a product that they know DOES NOT work with gigabit networks? How they want to compete with others? They should give you money back. It's insane. Do they offer ANY fix in the future for this? Now, that you mention it - it maybe it. Anyone else had those problems?

Derek

This topic is 6606 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.