conditional value lists

DrNikon224

This topic is 8308 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.

I am trying to find a way to make a value list display only certain values from a field in the same file, depending on the contents of another field.

I have a staff database. it is related to a database published on the web, but the web browsers don't like relational value lists...so i thought of a way around it...but the trick is getting it to work.

in the web file, i want to be able to have a drop down menu of people belonging to certain departments. (i.e. in the Writer field of the web-published database, i want a drop down menu of only the staff members with "writer" in the department field from the staff database file.

the staff file contains a repeating field specifying which department each member belongs to (staff members can work in more than one department).

now, i figured if i could create the value list within the staff file, i could create a new value list in the web-published file and do 'use value list from another file' to bring it to where i want it.

my only problem is coming up with a way to create a database to include members of only one department (each department will have its own list). does anyone have any ideas?

This topic is 8308 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.