conditional/cascading menu structure

Masco

This topic is 8295 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.

• Newbies

Is it possible in a second pop-up menu have only some choices based on a choice made in the first pop up menu? I've got version 4 and i'm a very newbye please use simple word ... i read the latest post in this forum about how to solve this problem but i didn't understand how to ...

Hi,

Yes it's possible and quite simple to achieve... but not that simple to explain wink.gif" border="0

Say your file is File 1, with Field A1 (with value list 1) and Field B1 (to choose from value list 2, depending on what's in Field A1).

First create a File 2, with only two fields :

Field A2 contains all the records from List 1

Field B2 contains all the records from List 2, depending on List 1.

Example :

If for the record "Car" in List 1, you want to choose between "Red", "Blue" and "Green" in List 2, you will have 3 records in File 2 : record 1 Field A2=Car, Field B2=Red ; record 2 Field A2 = Car, Field B2=Blue ; record 3 Field A2=Car, Field B2 = Green

In your main file (File 1), create a link between File1:FieldA1 and File2:FieldA2

Set Value List 1 (for Field A1) to choose from all records from File2:FieldA2, using the "Use values from other File" button

Set Value List 2 (for Field B1) to choose from linked records in Field B2 using the "Use values from" button, then "Only linked values".

I hope this is clear. I'm sorry if I'm not using the proper terms, but I have a french FMP version and I'm not sure of the correct english terms. tongue.gif" border="0

Good luck

Olive

This topic is 8295 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.