conditional VL - not working find mode

raingirl

This topic is 6587 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.

I have several variations of conditional value lists that work fine in browse mode (fm8.02) However, they do not work in find mode.

The simplest one I have is this: I want to isolate class agents in my people database. I check a text field for "class agent". (indexed). I create a calculation called zClass Agent that is a text calculation with the words "Class Agent". I make a TO to filter these values and voila. I get a filtered list of just my class agents. However, you can't search on it in find mode. Is this a common problem in fm8.02 or am I missing some big lightbulb with filtering?

Yes, I have allowed fields to be entered in find mode.

I have other conditional value lists (on a portal) that do the same thing. It will show the both conditions fine in browse mode, but then in find mode, it will display the first set of conditions, the . It is not a field behavior issue - it is definitely either in the relationship or filtering in 8 just sucks.

I think what's happening is that you are trying to find on a subset of your value list. For example, if I have a grouping for FRUITS and MEATS, my value list will have Oranges, Pork, Beef, Apples, Grapes, Veal, etc. Thus, I first click on the main grouping and select FRUITS, I expect to see only Oranges, Apples, Grapes in the subset. If I first click on the subset, there should be nothing since I have not yet define my main group that I want to filter from.

My recommendation would be to use a find script where a user will be prompted "What would you like to find? MEAT or FRUIT, then setting your main grouping based on the user selection and then have a go to script step that will go to the subset and will only show the filtered value list.

Enter Find Mode

Show Custom Dialog ["What Would you like to find?"]

If Get (LastMessageChoice) = 1

Set Field [Maingroup; "Meat"]

Go to Field [select; Subgroup]

else

Set Field [Maingroup; "Fruit"]

Go to Field [select; Subgroup]

End if

Pause/resume script[]

Perform find[]

Edited by Guest

I don't have these kind of issues in filemaker 6. You can have conditional value lists based on a subset and everything works fine -even when finding. You choose the main category, then based on that main category, the second list filters properly. I just don't understand why I am only having trouble in find mode.

I create a calculation called zClass Agent that is a text calculation with the words "Class Agent". I make a TO to filter these values and voila. I get a filtered list of just my class agents. However, you can't search on it in find mode.

In Find Mode, the calculation is not evaluated (how can it be, when someone might want to enter find criteria in it?) so the relationship for your conditional value list cannot be established.

The solution is to change your zClass Agent to a text field with global storage. Then in Browse Mode, insert the filter text. BTW: If you might have other categories that you'd want to filter by, you can use the same global field, so you might change the name of it to something more general.

This topic is 6587 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.