Server Maintenance This Week. ×

Getting prices into a field

This topic is 6583 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.

I'm not a programmer and not sure if this is the right place to ask, but I have put together a small order entry database that I'd like to streamline. As it is now, I select a product from a list in one field then tab to the next field and enter the products' cost. I'm sure there must be a way for the db to recognize the product and automatically fill the amount field with the appropriate cost. Can someone help me with this?

Thanks.

Gary

Build a separate table listing each product (once) and it's price. Create a relation to it from your Customer Order file, and set a "lookup" on the the price field definition. (The goal is to copy the price of the product at the time the order is placed, as it can be higher in the future. There are more complex ways to do this in order to avoid accidentally changing the price on the order in the future, but a lookup is a simple method to implement.)

It's preferable to add a serial number to the product file and create the relationship based on the serial number as the key field for the relation. This way the product name can change, but the relationship is maintained.

This topic is 6583 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.